January 2005

January 2005 Newsletter
Logo

Australian Athletes with a Disability Ltd

Funding grant allocations have been made for AAWD's first round of funding for 2004-2005. Funding applications for AAWD's second and final round of funding for 2004-2005 will be distributed in February.

Arafura Games

The Arafura Games will be held from 14th to 21st May 2005. This is an international event and is held every second year. The Games have their own website which is www.arafuragames.nt.gov.au with further information.

Australian Sports Awards

Congratulations to Matt Cowdrey of South Australia Wheelchair Sports who has made it to the final three in the Australian Sports Awards, Young Australian Male Athlete of the Year. The Awards will be presented at a gala dinner to be held in the Ballroom at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre on Wednesday 2 March 2005.

SPORTS NEWS

Athletics

Greg Smith reports as the rest of Australia began to prepare for its national day of celebration, fellow Aussie and champion wheelchair racer Kurt Fearnley was pushing his way to winning his first Oz Day 10km wheelchair race in the heart of the city of Sydney. The 2004 Athens Paralympic gold medallist in the 5000m and the Marathon raced across the finishing line in a time of 22 mins 50 secs to nudge out his archrival Saul Mendoza of Mexico by less than a second.

Fearnley, 23, was ecstatic with his performance 'I have been racing this race every year since 1996 and have been improving over the course ever since but to finally win it is just amazing. It is a race that I have always wanted to win as it is my home race and it means an incredible amount to me'.

Asked about his chances before today Fearnley was confident but also expecting a hard race. 'Saul is an absolute legend of the sport, I have been following in his footsteps for a couple of years now and to beat him here today is great. I took some well earned time off after Athens last year but have been back training hard for this race for a few months. It is always difficult to measure yourself in fitness during the Christmas break, so there is no better measure for me than to win here today'.

Gracious always, Mendoza congratulated the Aussie by saying' It was a good race for me, I pushed as fast as I could and gave myself every opportunity but it was his day and I am happy for him'.

In the women's race it was another win to an Aussie, when Melbourne's Eliza Stankovic crossed the line first in a time of 25 mins 48 secs, with Newcastle's Christie Dawes second and Sydney's Angie Ballard third. Stankovic, an Olympic games silver medallist, was very happy with her push stating 'it was a great race for me today, I broke away from the rest of the girls early and then was able to maintain a strong push in very windy conditions, winning it last year was exciting for me but to win it again is just as sweet'.

Archery

The Wheelchair Sports Australia Archery National Championships will be held in conjunction with the 58th Australian Archery Championships 2nd - 9th April 2005, Melbourne, Victoria. To be hosted by Archery Victoria Inc. & Diamond Valley archers. The Wheelchair Sports Australia event will be the Target event and medals will be allocated to relative placement of Wheelchair Sports Australia's entrants.

Please notify Jane Hall at AAWD of your entry, including your bow type.

Basketball

- 2006 National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Championships

The Board of Wheelchair Sports Australia Ltd has announced the Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association of Queensland has been successful in its bid to host the 4th National Junior Wheelchair Basketball Championships to be held in Queensland during 2006.

- Avon National Club Championships

The Avon National Club Championships will be held 13-14 March 2005 at the Clem Jones Sports Centre, Creek Rd, Carindale, QLD. For entry information contact AAWD This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Powerlifting

Information Kits and Nomination Forms for the 2005 Queensland IPC Powerlifting Open (Australian National Championships) to be held in Brisbane on 19 March 2005 have been released for further a kit contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tennis

- NRMA Insurance Sydney International Wheelchair Tennis Open
2005 will be the 16th time the Sydney International Wheelchair Tennis Open has been hosted by the NSW Wheelchair Sports Association. The 2005 NRMA Insurance Sydney International Wheelchair Tennis Open will be held from February 2 to 6 at the Sydney International Tennis Centre, Sydney Olympic Park.
- Classic 8s

The last three days of the Australian Tennis Open will see action in the Classic 8s. Play will take place from 28 - 30 January 2005.

- The Australian Wheelchair Tennis Open

The Australian Wheelchair Tennis Open is set to commence at Melbourne Park on Wednesday 9 February with the final taking place on Sunday 13 February with David Hall a strong chance to add another title to his collection. The women's draw looks wide open with world number one Esther Vergeer and Australia's Daniella Di Toro not participating.

February Calendar of Events

2-6 Tennis Sydney International Open Sydney, NSW
5 Athletics Telstra A Series Canberra, ACT
5-13 Lawn Bowls National Championships Sydney, NSW
7-12 Cycling Australian Track Championships Adelaide, SA
9-13 Tennis Australian Wheelchair Tennis Open Melbourne, Victoria
19 Athletics Telstra A Series Melbourne, Victoria
19-20 Basketball Festival of Sport Wodonga, Victoria

Subject to alterations.

ausport